One of the many awesome things about the new GoPro Black is that it comes standard with WiFi and a remote that allows you to control it remotely. Unfortunately, this doesn’t solve the issue of not being able to frame shots (no LCD – this is an extra purchase for all models and still requires you to stand next to it so for high or awkward mounts is still unsuitable).
However, with a late model iPhone or Android device you can install an App that connects to the Hero3 by WiFi and allows you to fully control the camera – AND stream a preview direct to your phone’s screen. AWESOME!
I just picked up my Hero3 Black from Highly Tuned Athletes and wanted to test it out. Unfortunately, the list of compatible devices is quite small. I have a 3G Galaxy Nexus and here’s how I got it to work.
1. Firstly, follow the instructions here:
2. Prepare a manual update of the firmware by downloading the file to your computer (Go HERE and follow the prompts until the final page and when given the option download the file – do NOT do an automatic update as this won’t allow you to do the next step)
3. Unzip the files and use a text editor (We recommend Text Wrangler or a Code Editor just to make sure you don’t corrupt the file) to edit the file “settings.in”.
4. Change the SSID and password to all lowercase and without spaces or special characters – e.g. hero3wifi – Save and close this file.
5. Ensuring your GoPro is connected, copy all files (there are 4) to your GoPro as per the standard Manual update procedure. Disconnect, restart and wait for the update to finish (progress is displayed on the LCD)
6. Turn on WiFi on the GoPro (double press the WiFi button) and turn it to App Mode
7. Using your mobile device connect to the “Network” that the GoPro is broadcasting (it will be called whatever you entered for SSID above) and enter the password you created above
8. After it has connected, load the GoPro app and tap Connect + Control. Good luck!
Questions or Comments? We’d love to hear them!